Technological advances are taking over the world, and the way things like Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), and even the Internet of Things (IoT) are infiltrating our lives, it is quite intriguing. Keeping that in mind, we can say that the IoT market is already huge, and it is growing at a very fast pace.
Speculations suggest that the devices based on the Internet of Things (IoT) will reach everywhere, including smart cities and even the agricultural and manufacturing departments. With this, it can be clearly said that IoT application development is going to skyrocket this year.
According to the stats, the IoT devices that are already installed in the market are expected to grow by more than 75 billion by the year 2025. Projections suggest that around 96% of all new vehicles that will be shipped by 2030 will include the built-in connectivity feature based on the Internet of Things (IoT).
Talking about Internet of Things (IoT), it can be dubbed the independent communication between electrical gadgets that aid in optimizing operations, increasing productivity, and cost reduction. The main purpose of IoT is to solve the everyday problems faced by humans.
The integration of IoT in application development is necessary to offer a better experience to businesses. So, if you are a business or even a mobile application development company, you need to know a few basics that are related to the Internet of Things (IoT), along with how data analytics influences IoT app development all over the globe.
For this, we need to understand what data analytics is and how it is related to the Internet of Things (IoT). Firstly we will start with talking about the definition of data analytics, the role of data analysis in IoT and IoT app development, the impact of IoT in application development, things you need to know regarding IoT app development, how one can create an IoT application, and a lot more.
What is Data Analytics?
Data Analytics plays a major role in IoT app development services. The existence of IoT is based heavily on the data that they manage to gather. But when the same comes to an individual user, it’s not only the raw data that is valuable but the intelligible rendition of data, i.e., data analytics.
To put it with more simplicity, Data analytics is the process that transforms the raw data into legit information that can help a user get the key insights required to make decisions. Data analytics delivers core information to the surface so that businesses can decode the user metric without any hassle. Most of the companies that provide IoT application development make sure that they use Data Analytics for IoT app development.
Importance of Data Analytics in IoT app development
When paired with the Internet of Things (IoT), data analytics allows businesses to present data in a sophisticated manner and alignment. Data Analytics in IoT will let the users easily adopt the trends through the information that is gathered by the IoT devices. The stats offered by the implementation of data analytics make sure that they are well-equipped with the knowledge required to take effective personal and business product decisions.
To understand it simply, IoT data analytics or IoT analytics allows the companies that provide IoT application development services to collect data from different devices based on the Internet of Things (IoT) with the help of a bunch of data analytics tools and techniques. It can be said that the main motto of IoT data analytics is to convert huge piles of unstructured data from a series of devices and sensors that are connected over the Internet of Things (IoT) ecosystem.
This data provides significant insights that can be used for making wide business decisions. The integration of data analytics in the Internet of Things (IoT) lets businesses recognize the patterns in data sets, including current and historical data. This data can be used for the purpose of making future predictions and changes related to future events related to the businesses.
What is the working procedure of IoT data analytics?
All the data analytics consulting services providing companies and even the businesses that want IoT app development services need to understand how IoT analytics works. The most amazing part about the same is that without using any infrastructure and hardware, IoT data analytics can help go through the data stored over all the linked devices. Here we will discuss the steps of IoT data analytics working and how it impacts businesses.
- The very first step in the series is to collect data from different sources, available in multiple forms and different frequencies.
- After that, the information is processed with the utilization of multiple external sources.
- Moving further, the data is stored in a time series to be analyzed later.
- The analysis can be initiated by different methods that consist of analysis tools, machine learning analysis techniques, and regular SQL queries.
- Now, this data can be used by businesses to develop a series of applications and systems to aid business processes.
Advantages of data analytics
- It provides growth opportunities to businesses along with the ability to expand in other markets.
- Fast-paced solutions with precise problem identification.
- Enhanced customer experience along with purchase history analysis.
- Improved visibility and control provided by IoT data analytics lets users make decisions faster.
- Low operational costs and high capacity resource utilization with the automation of results.
Where is IoT Analytics used?
There are multiple devices in the global market that use the principles of IoT data analytics. Here we have mentioned a few devices where IoT data analytics is used.
- Wearables: The wearables market all over the globe has shown tremendous growth. They serve as one of the best devices that use IoT data analytics that tracks data related to food habits, the number of calories burned in a day, the number of steps someone walks in a day, along with keeping a check on the heartbeat. These devices can also be used to message, check notifications, and even make calls.
- Smart home devices: There are multiple smart home devices, like security systems, that can be controlled even when the user is not at home. There are other smart home appliances that can be used for controlling your house and other places, even when you are not present there, like smart switches, smart speakers, smart bulbs, and more. The devices collect the data to understand the consumption patterns and other stuff related to a user.
- Voice-activated services: This is something we all are familiar with. For example, digital voice assistants like Siri, Alexa, and Google that can perform tasks like playing your favorite song, opening YouTube, keeping a tab on the weather, set alarms are all used for collecting user data. The brands further use this data to provide personalized suggestions for day-to-day tasks.
- Retail: The retail industry requires multiple applications for different purposes that are built on the Internet of Things (IoT). Things like supply chain control (keeping a check on the storage conditions of goods at different stages of the delivery) and intelligent shopping (building a collection of goods on the basis of location, consumer’s individual characteristics, and acceptable price range) can be dubbed the aptest for the development of high-end Internet of Things (IoT) applications.
- Logistics: Logistics is one of the most feasible areas for the integration of the Internet of Things (IoT) for developing applications. The use of elements like RFID tags consisting of in-built chips, GPS trackers, and antennas deliver a combined approach for tracking the location of transported goods. To convert the data collected from the sensors, these logistic companies recruit developers that provide iPhone app development services and Android app development services to build highly specific software working on the Internet of things (IoT). These applications are developed in such a way that they also work smoothly on low-performance smartphone devices.
- Manufacturing: The manufacturing industry has seen one of the most rapid growth of the Internet of Things (IoT). All the manufacturing companies work on a lot of machinery, sensors, and devices. Here IoT comes into play as it accurately monitors business processes and operations. Appropriately designed and deployed Internet of Things (IoT) systems can skyrocket the productivity of any manufacturing unit. Traditional machine-to-machine (M2M) communication is already based on the data transfer between machines and devices at multiple stages of the manufacturing process. Now, IoT technology can be fused within this ecosystem for the optimization of processes and production capacity.
How to create an IoT application, and what are the requirements?
The top mobile application development companies in USA already know the main reason behind the need for IoT app development services. The IoT application development will have distinct features in case of an application for a wearable and a smart home application. IoT app development needs a few major components like any other application development. Moving forward in this article, we will discuss the four major components that are needed for the development of an application based on the Internet of Things (IoT).
Requirements to create an IoT application:
All the Internet of Things (IoT) bases apps are built on four major components:
- Hardware: The hardware required to build the IoT apps consists of low-energy sensors running over Bluetooth to connect to the internet. Any company that is providing app development services is required to figure out if they want third-party hardware or custom hardware for the development of their IoT app. For your information, a smartphone also works as a hardware component.
- Software: The software for an Internet of things (IoT)-based system can be a cloud-based application that runs on either a smartphone or the web. It works as the dashboard for managing or controlling the connected device. For example, the companion applications for wearables and smart home appliances. The dashboard is used for the purpose of collecting data from the sensors to share it with the users.
- Cloud: it can be said to be the most crucial part of IoT application development. The cloud is used for processing and arranging data. One of the biggest advantages of clouds is that the user is not supposed to rely on physical components for the storage of the vast amount of data and information.
- Network: The network also plays a major role in the development of IoT applications. It helps in sending and receiving the data from mobile phones to sensors and vice versa. The network is used to link all the devices available in a particular IoT system.
Process to create an IoT application:
- Finalizing the platform
First things first, any IoT app development company first needs to figure out the platform they are going to use for the Internet of Things (IoT) app development. There are multiple options that are available globally, and one can choose from any of them based on the requirement and preferences. Here is a list of platforms that can be used for developing IoT applications:
- IBM Watson
- Oracle IoT
- Azure IoT Suite
- Android Things
Most of the mentioned IoT application development platforms are still facing inconsistency issues. These vendors want to enable IoT developers to connect gadgets from various vendors that are based on different languages under one umbrella, or we can say, into one unified system. Google has already taken the first step towards the same as its Android Things platform now supports multiple devices from different manufacturers.
These devices can be connected to low-energy sensors. Similarly, the HomeKit by Apple also allows a few devices to connect to its ecosystem seamlessly. To make it easy for any individual or company providing IoT app development services, HomeKit and Android Things also offer their own APIs. Most of the top application developers in the USA rely on the mentioned platforms for IoT application development.
- Shortlisting the hardware
This emerges as one of the most important steps in the path of developing an Internet of Things (IoT) application. If you are providing IoT app development services and are not going to use your own hardware, then you need to finalize the hardware for your application from other manufacturers. Things that you should consider while finalizing the hardware is that it fits with the requirements of your product. And it goes without saying that the product hardware should be from a trustworthy brand, and it should provide decent connection accuracy, as these two factors are pretty important for the progress of your project in the right direction.
- Consider the scalability factors firsthand
Any company providing IoT app development services should keep a future plan ready for the application’s scalability. It is a universal truth that the scalability of an application is pretty necessary, taking into account that we get to see new technological advancements every day. Any IoT application in today’s world is supposed to handle increasing data along with multiple processes and devices. This is why all the top mobile application developers in USA use cloud technology for IoT application development.
- Snappy application is a must
One thing which all the companies that provide (Internet of Things) IoT application development services should consider is that these kinds of applications should be lightning-fast when it comes to performance. If the user is sharing data or controlling devices remotely, any lag could be a serious disappointment, and it will also raise questions about the efficiency of the IoT application.
For example, imagine a user is driving a car, and it is not working as per the user’s commands or taking extra-ordinary time to do the same. This will surely have a negative impact on the users, and they will never want to give that application a try. To avoid this kind of situation, snappy performance, and high-octane connections are serious requirements to be taken care of while developing an IoT application.
- Security to be a top priority
Suppose you are a company that is offering data analytics consulting services or IoT development services. In that case, you need to make sure that the security of the IoT app is taken care of. Internet of Things or IoT technology is highly vulnerable to data leaks as multiple devices are connected to one network.
Because of the vast interconnected area with which people control their cars, healthcare devices, and even homes – all of these things are at risk, and the attacks can lead to the leak of sensitive data and even exposing private information. There are a bunch of tips that you can follow to make sure that the app offers top-notch security.
Go for the best hardware in the industry: There are multiple software vendors that miss out on major software vulnerabilities. While developing an IoT application, you have to ensure that the hardware in use is secure and reliable, or you can even get it checked by security specialists.
Protected networks and app security: The data and information that gets circulated between the application and devices should be done over an encrypted cloud or server. The utilization of services like obfuscation, encryption, two-factor authentication, and more can be used to boost the security of the users.
Legit IoT platforms and an eye on physical attacks: Security concerns related to IoT applications also depend upon the platform that is used to build an IoT application and how reliable it is. If you are a company that provides IoT app development services, then make sure you build the application on the platforms that have the latest tools and offer regular updates. In addition, the data that is being stored on the device should not only be encrypted, but it should also be protected physically. One thing that developers should ensure is that the device’s storage is not easily removable.
Impact of IoT on mobile app development
Internet of Things (IoT), when used for mobile app development, targets customers and is regularly used in day-to-day situations. The same has a serious impact on the way people live, and it also helps in making their lives easier. As we can see these days, only a single IoT-based application can manage and control a lot of devices to perform multiple tasks. The top mobile application developers in USA are already witnessing the impact of the Internet of Things (IoT) on the process of development.
Every year, the number of IoT frameworks is increasing with broader functionality and higher possibilities for IoT application development. It can be said that due to the complexity of IoT technology, the development of an app related to the same requires a series of skills. Furthermore, any IoT application development providing company that is going to build an IoT app should also have cyber-security specialists so that the vulnerabilities from the system can be removed.
Unquestionably, it can be said that the trend of using the Internet of Things (IoT) based applications is growing insanely. The integration of IoT in app development is changing the lives of the majority of the population by providing comfort and control over the devices they use. In case you are a company that provides IoT app development services, then you should focus more on offering things like security, speed, and network stability.
If the mentioned factors are not taken care of, it will be difficult for you to gather a loyal user base who will download and use the IoT application and post decent reviews. So, if you are a business or a company that is looking for data analytics consulting service or IoT app development services, then make sure that the company you are going to offers a stable, secure, and fast-paced app.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I create an Internet of Things (IoT) application?
Creating an Internet of Things (IoT) application is definitely a tough nut to crack. For the same, you need to hire a company that provides data analytics services and IoT application development services along with the ability to develop custom software that meets the expectation of your organization.
To understand the same, four major components that are required for IoT application development are hardware, software, network, and cloud. Apart from that, there are a few steps that one should follow for the development of applications based on the Internet of Things (IoT). The first step is to choose the platform on which the application will be developed, like Android things, HomeKit, Azure IoT Suite, Oracle IoT, IBM Watson, Ubidots, and a lot more.
The second step is to select the hardware that will complement the IoT application. The third step is to make sure that the scalability is already in consideration. For example, any application built on the Internet of Things (IoT) should have the scope for improvement so that it could match the progress going on in the mobile app development industry.
The fourth step is to keep in check that the application runs at high speed, as no lag can be afforded while controlling the devices. The last step after the creation of an IoT application is tightening the security of the same so that there are minimal or no vulnerabilities.
What are the four types of IoT platforms?
There are four different types of IoT platforms available in the market as of now. These include:
- Internet of Things (IoT) connectivity platforms are used to access and handle the communication protocols used to connect devices over Bluetooth, WiFi, and even mobile internet. These platforms offer an easy-to-understand interface for managing devices over the networks required at the point in time.
- IoT device management platforms consist of tools used for troubleshooting and updating the connected devices without being in close proximity. This is mostly used in large-scale organizations.
- IoT analytics platform works as a data aggregator for organizations. These platforms allow the companies to execute deep research analysis of the data collected from the connected devices.
- IoT application enablement platforms: IoT Application Enablement Platforms let you develop applications that work on IoT and put them to work. These applications can be used in industrial control and management systems along with smart home devices too.
What is the role of data analytics in Internet of Things (IoT) app development?
The enormous amount of data volume is supposed to be managed by the organizations so that it can be analyzed to extract all the necessary information. Along with the real-time data, these data sets could be analyzed with the help of data analytics tools. Apart from that, IoT applications collect data that have different structures, formats, or types.
Data analytics lets the businesses that go for IoT app development services to analyze all the different sets of data with the utilization of automated tools. Not only this but the data analytics in IoT applications could also be used for the purpose of driving higher revenue by meeting the demands and expectations of the customers.
An IT company delivering the best in a constantly changing world. Our passion is to create feature-rich, engaging projects designed to your specifications in collaboration with our team of expert professionals who make the journey of developing your projects exciting and fulfilling. Get a 30 Min free consultation to convert your dream project into reality.