Creating an app for numerous platforms could be expensive and time-consuming. Businesses are using cross-platform mobile app development more and more because it allows programmers to create apps for Android and iOS from a single codebase.
Due to their advantages, cross-platform technologies have grown in favor. Writing code just once and then deploying it to different operating systems reduces development costs and time. It also boosts code reuse and simpler app maintenance.
Various technologies exist for cross-platform app development. The best option depends on factors like requirements, budget, and in-house skills. Some top technologies include Flutter, React Native, Xamarin, and Ionic.
These frameworks allow the simultaneously creating of iOS apps and Android apps while sharing most code between platforms. They promise shorter development cycles, lower costs, and the ability to harness the features of each platform.
What are cross-platform mobile apps?
The iOS, Android, and occasionally Windows operating systems are all supported by cross-platform mobile applications. Developers write code once and then deploy it to various platforms. This approach lowers development costs and time since code only needs writing once. A cross-platform app development company reuses most code across platforms.
Cross-platform apps let businesses build applications for different operating systems from a single codebase. This reduces development efforts and expenses compared to creating native apps for each platform.
Cross-platform apps are built using technologies that abstract away the differences between platforms. They convert the shared code into a format that is compatible with each operating system’s native execution. Cross-platform apps act like native apps and have full access to device features even though they have the same visual appearance across all platforms.
There are numerous methods to approach the development of cross-platform apps. Some technologies compile shared code to truly native executables for each platform. Others use web technologies to create HTML5 hybrid apps that are wrapped into native containers.
Importance of cross-platform app development
Cross-platform app development allows the creation of mobile apps that can run on multiple operating systems from a single codebase. This offers several significant benefits over developing separate native apps for each platform.
- Reduced development time – Since code only needs to be written once, cross-platform apps can be developed much faster than individual native apps. This boosts productivity.
- Lower costs – Because most code is shared, the cost of developing cross-platform apps is typically lower than creating separate native apps for each platform.
- Increased code reuse – Up to 90% of the code can potentially be reused, optimizing development efforts and minimizing redundant work.
- Easier maintenance – Updating and fixing bugs in a single codebase is quicker and more hassle-free for cross-platform apps.
- Wider reach – By targeting multiple platforms, cross-platform apps can potentially reach a broader audience.
- Faster updates – Features and bug fixes can be rolled out simultaneously to all platforms since code is shared, ensuring app parity.
Top 10 Technologies for Developing Cross-platform mobile apps
Businesses now demand apps for iOS and Android. Cross-platform solutions have emerged, making multi-platform development faster and cheaper. Here we discuss the top 10 technologies for building cross-platform mobile apps based on factors.
React Native uses the same fundamental UI building blocks as regular iOS and Android mobile applications. The resulting apps work seamlessly with other native components and APIs while reusing large amounts of code between iOS and Android applications. This allows developers to move faster in building mobile apps.
Flutter, an open-source Google framework, lets businesses build cross-platform native apps using Dart. A mobile app development company builds a single codebase deployable to Android, iOS, Linux, macOS, and Windows. Flutter enables companies to create applications for different operating systems from the same Dart code. This shared code reduces development efforts and costs versus creating separate native apps.
Flutter allows creating apps using the Widgets API which expresses UIs as a composition of immutable Dart objects. When a Flutter app runs, these widgets are composed into the platform’s native UI which results in a fully native experience with high performance. This approach enables Flutter apps to integrate natively with services, devices, and APIs of each platform while sharing most of the code.
The Flutter framework combines Dart’s simple syntax and fast development experience with high-performance, native apps. Flutter apps are compiled into native code which means they start up instantly and feel and perform like native apps but with code reuse between platforms. Flutter offers helpful tools like widgets, smooth animations, hardware optimization, text boxes, scrolling bars, touch functions, and other features that allow developers to quickly make attractive apps that look and act like truly native applications for both Android and iOS.
Xamarin is a cross-platform option from Microsoft that allows building native mobile apps for iOS, Android, and Windows using C# and. NET. Xamarin developers write C# code that gets compiled into APIs specific to each native mobile OS – iOS, Android, and Windows. This lets them create apps that look and feel completely native to the particular platform but is faster and easier to develop through code reuse across platforms.
The resulting apps have native performance and user experience, but they also share most of their code between platforms. This approach speeds up development time and reduces bugs. Xamarin includes robust UI components, access to native APIs, and support for client app libraries for integrating things like payment processing and authentication. With Xamarin, a mobile app development company can quickly produce powerful and interesting apps for iOS and Android by writing code in a single C# language and sharing the majority of that code between the two operating systems.
While PhoneGap Build handles the rest, cross-platform app developers concentrate on the logic and user interface of their app. So without having to learn Objective-C, Java, or Swift, PhoneGap Build offers a quick and simple solution for web developers to create cross-platform mobile apps. NativeScript apps are compiled into truly native mobile applications using the NativeScript compiler. This means apps built with NativeScript perform like real native apps, have full access to native APIs and even feel native to the user. NativeScript apps utilize web development languages and tools cross-platform app developers already know, but generate 100% native iOS and Android apps.
Titanium offers extensive APIs, frameworks, and tooling to simplify building cross-platform mobile apps. Using Titanium, cross-platform app developers can build completely native user interfaces with components like buttons, lists, and images. Titanium handles cross-platform differences, allowing developers to share most of their code between iOS and Android while taking advantage of each platform’s unique features. As a result, Titanium enables the building of high-performance, native mobile applications faster by utilizing common web programming languages and platforms.
Adobe PhoneGap Build
PhoneGap Build handles the complexity of compiling code for different platforms, signing packages with keys, and uploading apps to app stores. While PhoneGap Build handles the rest, developers concentrate on the logic and user interface of their app. So without having to learn Objective-C, Java, or Swift, PhoneGap Build offers a quick and simple solution for cross-platform app developers to create cross-platform mobile apps.
Corona SDK is a cross-platform framework for developing 2D mobile apps using Lua scripting language. With Corona SDK, developers can create apps for both iOS and Android using a single codebase. Corona apps are written in Lua, a lightweight scripting language perfect for cross-platform mobile app development. Corona then compiles the Lua code into native iOS and Android apps utilizing its comprehensive API set. This allows Corona apps to have native performance while sharing most of their code between platforms.
Corona provides an intuitive visual API that uses Lua tables to position, size, and style user interface elements. The visual API allows developers to construct intuitive UI without the complexity of CSS. Corona also provides access to devise sensors, storage, network, and other native features through its API. The resulting apps are indistinguishable from those written in Objective-C or Java.
Overall, Corona SDK enables cross-platform app developers to build 2D iOS and Android mobile apps faster using the lightweight Lua language. Developers create a single codebase that targets both platforms while taking full advantage of native device features. This shortens cross-platform mobile app development time and reduces costs for building cross-platform mobile apps.
Hyperloop uses reactive data binding to provide a live, two-way connection between view models and UI components. As the underlying data changes, the UI can thus automatically update in real time. In order to provide apps with a genuinely native appearance and feel, Hyperloop offers a collection of pre-made, resizable UI components that render natively on iOS and Android. Hyperloop offers tools to create modular, reusable UI components that can be composed into more complex components. This component-based approach helps organize large codebases and encourages reuse.
Overall, Hyperloop allows cross-platform app developers familiar with web technologies to build high-performance, reactive native mobile apps that share significant logic across platforms. Using Hyperloop, apps have access to the full capabilities of the mobile device.
Unity utilizes a component-based architecture where scripts and assets are attached to Game Objects. This modular approach makes code reusable and manageable. When building a platform in Unity, the engine compiles the C# scripts and GPU-optimized graphics into native platform code. The resulting games and apps are distributed through the relevant application store for each platform.
Unity empowers cross-platform app developers to efficiently manufacture high-fidelity mobile apps and games by coding one time and releasing them to various operating systems. Unity handles the intricacy of platform-specific compilation and releases while furnishing a wealthy set of features like physics modeling, animation, and graphics optimization.
Streamline your app development process with these powerful tools and frameworks.
Contact A3logics to build user friendly apps
Factors to consider when choosing a technology
When building mobile apps for multiple platforms, developers have the option to choose from various cross-platform technologies. Selecting the right technology is vital to the success of a mobile app project. There are several key factors that mobile app developers should evaluate for different technologies:
- The language used – The programming language used has a big impact on how easy or difficult cross-platform mobile app development will be. Developers should opt for a language they are already familiar with.
- Native experience – The app should feel truly native on each platform and have full access to native features and APIs. Check if the technology provides this.
- Performance – Evaluate if the technology can deliver high-performance apps, especially regarding speed and responsiveness.
- Ecosystem – An extensive ecosystem of plugins, libraries, and components enhances the functionality of apps.
- Maturity – More established technologies tend to be more stable with better support and documentation.
- Cost – Free technologies reduce upfront costs but paid options may offer more features.
- Support – Good support in the form of tutorials, forums, and articles helps address cross-platform mobile app development challenges.
Future trends and innovations in cross-platform development
Unity enables mobile app developers to build high-fidelity mobile apps and games efficiently by writing code once and deploying it to multiple operating systems. Unity handles the complexity of platform-specific compilation and deployment while providing a rich set of features like physics simulation, animation, and graphics optimization. Some trends and innovations to look out for in the future include:
- Better native performance – Technologies will continue to enhance their compilers and runtimes to provide apps with closer-to-native performance. Apps will become indistinguishable from those built natively.
- More code reuse – Technologies will allow the reusing of even more code across platforms. Potentially up to 95-99% code reuse will become common. This will majorly boost developer productivity.
- More platform support – Technologies will add support for developing apps for additional platforms like Windows, Mac, and Web. Some already support 5+ platforms.
- Greater use of AI – Technologies will increasingly incorporate artificial intelligence to aid a cross-platform app development company. This includes features like code completion, error detection, automated testing, etc.
- Common development platforms – There will be a move towards shared platforms to develop apps for multiple operating systems. This will reduce the learning curve for mobile app developers.
- Real-time cross-compiling – Technologies will offer the ability to instantly compile code changes to different platforms in real time. This will also make the cross-platform mobile app development experience much more interactive.
- Better UI tools – Technologies will improve their UI tools to provide more visual, drag-and-drop interface builders. This will also reduce the time spent on UI code.
- Increased support for AR/VR – Cross-platform frameworks will provide better capabilities for building augmented reality and virtual reality applications.
Future innovations in cross-platform technologies will focus on improving native performance, code reuse, tooling, use of AI, and support for additional platforms. A cross platform app development company can expect a more productive and versatile development experience with reduced differences between operating systems.
Building cross-platform mobile apps is catching on with increasing requests for hybrid and native apps. Technologies like Flutter, React Native, and Xamarin allow corporations to make high-caliber apps for numerous systems affordably. Though no technology is flawless for all cases, choosing the right one supported by needs can help refine development. The mentioned technologies offer features like cross-platform compatibility, code reusability, and quick development times.
Ultimately, the choice depends on factors like cost, cross platform app development company expertise, look and feel, and performance needs. Businesses must weigh their options carefully to select a technology that best meets their specific mobile app development goals.
What is an example of a cross-platform app?
Facebook is a social networking app that is available on both iOS and Android. The Facebook app runs natively on both operating systems but is built using a single codebase. This allows Facebook to:
- Develop and maintain one codebase instead of separate iOS and Android apps
- Reuse a large portion of their code between platforms
- Release new features and bug fixes simultaneously for both iOS and Android users
- Provide their billions of users with a uniform experience across all devices.
Cross-platform app development is characterized by the creation of a single codebase that targets several platforms. Cross-platform mobile apps can also be found in:
Although they were all created utilizing cross-platform technologies that provide code exchange between operating systems, these apps all operate natively on both iOS and Android. The advantages of Facebook, such as quicker development, simpler maintenance, simultaneous updates, and more, are made possible by this.
Which cross-platform is best for mobile app development?
There is no universally “best” cross-platform technology for mobile app development. The best choice depends on your specific requirements and priorities. Some key factors to consider include:
- Cost: Xamarin and React Native tend to offer lower costs while Flutter apps require relatively more resources.
- Performance: Native-wrapped technologies like Xamarin have better performance while hybrid platforms are comparatively less performant.
- Cross-platform app development company expertise: If you have Web a cross-platform app development company, React Native may be best. If you have .NET developers, Xamarin could work well.
- App features: Some technologies are better suited for certain features like animations, gestures, or augmented reality.
What are the two types of cross-platform app?
There are two main types of cross-platform app development technologies:
Native-wrapped platforms: They compile source code into true native applications. React Native and Xamarin are examples.
What are the benefits of cross-platform apps?
There are several key benefits of developing cross-platform mobile apps:
- Lower development costs: By writing code that runs on multiple platforms, cross-platform apps require fewer development resources compared to creating separate native apps.
- Faster time to market: As a cross-platform app development company only need to write code for a single platform, cross-platform apps can be built and launched faster.
- Code reuse: Cross-platform technologies allow reusing a large portion of your code across platforms, reducing maintenance efforts.
- Easier updates: Since updates need to be made only in the core codebase, cross-platform apps are easier and faster to update on multiple platforms.
- Wider reach: By supporting multiple platforms, cross-platform apps can potentially reach a larger audience of mobile users.
An IT company delivering the best in a constantly changing world. Our passion is to create feature-rich, engaging projects designed to your specifications in collaboration with our team of expert professionals who make the journey of developing your projects exciting and fulfilling. Get a 30 Min free consultation to convert your dream project into reality.